Thursday, June 27, 2013

Redeemed

Have you ever just had one of those days?

You know, the kind where your good intentions of cooking healthy meals, getting the house in order, catching up the laundry, solving world hunger or human trafficking, and helping orphans seem like reasonable, attainable goals?

Everything goes along great if you manage to wake up before the rest of the house, which lasts all but .45 seconds.

Then lo' and behold

DAY INTERRUPTED....by things like a child who has 3 accidents in 1 day. {What is up with that?? You're potty trained!!} Another who runs in the house despite warnings, hurts her knee and is all "I'm pretty sure it's going to need surgery, and you should probably keep bringing me ice packs- oh and some chips while you're at it", and the last one that you are trying to keep from breaking himself as he attempts to scale new heights on anything vertical...... and you get to the point that you just don't know where to start other than by hiding somewhere no one would look. {Like the cleaning closet.}

Yeah, me neither!
I'm so glad we're perfect and those things don't happen to us. Riiight.

Well, it's sort of been one of those days, and I sit here in the middle of it, knowing that my husband is likely on his way home and probably hoping that I will be well kempt with something on the stove and that those toys over there would magically be in their place.

{I'm so glad he loves me even though this is NOT going to be his reality!}

Yep, I'm a mess of all sorts and of great proportions and I'm so thankful that it's okay. Because I have a Redeemer who knows that I'll never live up to anyone's expectations.
Not my own, not my husband's, and not the world's.
So many years I spent trying and striving just to find that I can do it for a short time, but it left me drained, tired, empty, and hopeless.

How much better is it to rest in the assurance that I'm accepted, I'm loved, and I was rescued even though I would continually fail- From rogue, tramp, scoundrel to paid-in-full, made new, redeemed.


As you listen to the words of this song I hope you will open your heart to the meaning and accept the truth.
There is nothing in your past that will make God love you less, and there is no amount of working that will make Him love you more.

Romans 3:23 says "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God", no matter what expectations you're trying to meet, God is the only one you should look to, and in comparison with God, we will never be holy and blameless and perfect, because we are human.

And it doesn't matter.

Because listen to these promises:

But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us. {Romans 5:8}

I have blotted out your transgressions like a cloud and your sins like mist; return to me, for I have redeemed you. {Isaiah 44:22}

In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace. {Ephesians 1:7}

In whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. {Colossians 1:14}

So soak in that truth for today, thank him that his mercies are new everyday, and in case you like to clean bathrooms I know where there is a floor that could use another good scrubbing!

In His love,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment